Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Christmas Cheer


We returned from a trip to the UK to snow. How the garden changes with a covering of snow. The Miscanthus sinensis ‘Zebrinus’ was flattened to the ground. I felt guilty now to have left it so tall.  To my surprise when the snow thawed nearly every stem managed to stand upright once again.

















It halted the growth of the Helleborus x hybridus and the tiny buds of snowdrops just showing. The garden is far behind many of my twitter friends in the UK. I picked the last of the roses and took them indoors to enjoy. 

The buds of the ‘inherited’ camellia are particularly beautiful this year. I made my own wreaths again from the large leaved ivy that I brought from Sussex. Long stems had been left for just this purpose. Along with any available greenery from the garden.

It is something that so many people on twitter seamed to be doing for the first time…I’ve been doing it for years…I would have preferred some conifer and could have picked up no end of Stone pine from the promenade where they had be pruned but I didn’t. I was pleased enough with the results. 

The wealth of material available at Orchards has made me very spoilt, the choice just isn’t here. 

Happy New Year to you all

No comments:

Post a Comment